Radiohead - Harry Patch (In Memory Of)

 
 
"I am the only one that got through
The others died where ever they fell
It was an ambush
They came up from all sides
Give your leaders each a gun and then let them fight it out themselves
I've seen devils coming up from the ground
I've seen hell upon this earth
The next will be chemical but they will never learn."
 
This is a song I've probably already posted, but I'll post it again anyway. 
I just saw some more Armistace Day ceremonies on the television and it made me feel uneasy. 
I know we're supposed to be grateful, and it's not that I'm 
ungrateful or ignorant but lest we forget isn't just about remembering sacrifice,
it's about remembering what an awful waste war is. We obviously have, if people think
there's any glory in millions upon millions of people dying. People seem to think, 
especially in this country that war is always inevitable and necessary. If politicians
did their jobs properly there should be little reason for war, it shouldn't get to 
that stage. But it does. Mostly because of greed. Greed for oil, land, money, and power.
It's a fucking joke. 
 
Anyway a few years ago there was a documentary for Harry Patch,
who died at the age of 111 in 2009. He had written a book, and there was a documentary
made about him. Radiohead took quotes from this documentary that Harry said, and turned
it into this song. It's so sad, and it's clear Harry is vehemently against war, and if
anyone would know what war does, what it acheives, this man would.
I remember seeing his funeral and some idiot in military uniform saying he knows Harry
would support the current wars, I was utterly gobsmacked. 

Comments

Popular Posts