The Smiths - This Charming Man

Another song that blasted out during the Parliament Square protest on Thursday night. The media is still focusing on the violence, which doesn't seem very unbiased to me. A kid has emergency brain surgery because of the police who were supposed to be protecting him, but no, it is a student who got caught up in the moment and climbed onto the cenotaph that gets the attention. I say 'got caught up in the moment' because when you are protesting, when you are in that situation and adrenaline is up, you have been treated poorly by the police for hours, been kettled, your behaviour changes. It's no excuse but he is not the devil. I have been kettled myself, been charged by police on horseback, been pushed around, and I have done no more that stand and chant. I always got out of the way of the idiots (both police and protesters) when it got too heated. So using the minorities behaviour (in my eyes, 200 out of 20,000+ is a minority, whatever the police and the government say) to justify portraying students as demons, and therefore justify their actions in parliament and on the streets, is unacceptable. 

They probably played this song because both Johnny Marr and Morrissey have come out against David Cameron, saying he is banned from liking The Smiths:

Comments

Popular Posts