Pete & The Pirates - Mr Understanding

I love P&TP's so much. Though I have a confession: until embarrassingly recently I didn't realise Pete wasn't the lead singers name. Oy.
I owe my love of them to Maximo Park. I brought a ticket to Maximo Park's headline of XFM's 10th birthday bash in 2008 at the last minute. I was so poor I stayed in a hostel in Elephant & Castle (south of the river!!) and caught the bus to Brixton. I'm quite proud I managed it, god only knows how I made it there and back, considering I had to walk quite a bit too. Anyway, when I got there I met a really nice girl who was from Brazil or something. We lost each other because I had shitty tickets on the balcony. The supports were (I think, I get confused) The Maccabees and Pete & The Pirates. Pretty sweet gig. The next time I saw them I was determined not to be a mile back, so I got tickets to see them with Maximo Park, Blood Red Shoes, and The Young Knives in Kentish Town Forum. I've since seen them in a teeny pub in Wimbledon. They're equally genius in any venue.
I can't wait for their new album, they're the kind of band that can't write shit songs.

A cool video from Rough Trade West on Record Store Day 2011.


Comments

Popular Posts