Elbow - Scattered Black and Whites

I'm one of those snobs who liked elbow 'before they were famous' and I kind of hate myself for it.... almost. I think it's mostly because they've been amazing for years, but it wasn't fashionable to like them, so no one went out of their way in the press or whatever. Now that every man and his dog likes them, and you can't have a sporting event without 'One Day Like This' being played (snore). The press I read is very good (or in the case of Q, arse-kissery)... but it pisses me off too. Most of the time I want to scream 'BUT THEY WERE BRILLIANT BEFORE, IF NOT BETTER!'

I also hate how people only seem to listen to their new stuff, which is good (The Seldom Seen Kid) and O.K (build a rocket boys!) but their older stuff is brilliant ...  and it's kind of treated (in the media, and by people I know who're Seldom Seen Kid converts) flippantly as not as important. I can appreciate the two new(er) albums a lot more if I forget their first three. I listen to them and think 'nice songs' but I listen to Asleep In The Back, Cast of Thousands, or Leaders of the Free World and I get taken somewhere completely different (GAY!!) I feel a lot calmer.

So I'm not sure what todays rambling is about, but I suppose it's that whole thing when a band you like become 'famous' or in this case... appreciated. I'm irritated by people who 'like elbow' but only listen to their newer stuff. It's like someone's stolen them from me, and it's pissing me off! It makes me not want to listen to their new stuff even more... and it's not even their fault. I suppose it started when I saw them in Bournemouth and heard these 'older' people banging on about how they'd liked them 'before they were well known' (sounds familiar!! haha) and it turned out that had meant they'd read a review about Seldom Seen Kid in the Guardian... they then proceeded to talk through any song that wasn't on that album. BOO!! Haha. Also, when Seldom Seen Kid came out I remember hearing 'Grounds for Divorce' debut on the radio for the first time (I was listening on my phone as I was crossing the courtyard at uni). After hearing about its release and feeling like you were part of an awesome club of people who 'knew' elbow. It kind of feels the same now I suppose, except now it's people who 'know' elbow, and people who like their last two albums.

My mum and brother went to the O2 tonight to see them. I'm glad I didn't go, when I saw elbow last it was brilliant, like being in their living room... let the new fans have their wide open spaces.

"I come back here from time to time  / Shelter here some days."



Comments

Popular Posts