Johnny Cash - Ring Of Fire

I never really noticed the 'Ring of Fire' before I moved to Europe. Living in NZ you just get used to the constant 'threat' of natural disasters. We learnt earthquake drills, as well as the usual fire drills. We had a few volcanic eruptions when I was growing up, floods, drought, hoar frost... everything in such a tiny country. It's completely different here, you're not as aware of the environment around you, so when there's a slight bit of snow people think it's a huge deal when really it's not the snow that's the problem it's the preparedness and reaction.

Maybe it's because I was bought up in a country with an entire town built over geothermal activity which would belch up through grates and peoples backyards, and had a big-arse (I think that's it's technical term) alpine fault running down half of it so you are a lot more aware. But still, doesn't really help when you have the shitty last few months the southern hemisphere has had. The latest was today in Japan and I feel so sorry for anyone stuck in natural disasters, because sometimes there's just nothing you can do no matter how much money you have. Hopefully there's not too much loss of life... but looking at the telly it doesn't look that great.

Anyway, any time the news says 'the pacific ring of fire' lately (which is a lot) I've got this song stuck in my head.

Comments

Popular Posts