Blur - Thought I Was A Spaceman

When The Magic Whip came out earlier in the year I was properly obsessed with it for a few months and was pretty sure it would be my album of the year. As the year rolled on it turned out 2015 was a vintage year for music - supporting my theory that this happens every five years... 2005 and 2010 were also excellent.

Anyway, a few nights ago I saw New World Towers, a documentary about the making of the album, in the cinema. They included quite a lot of the Hyde Park date this year, which was so cool to see. We ended up right at the front and I didn't really realise how huge the concert is. It's so amazing.

Anyway, that brought me back to realising that despite some strong contenders, The Magic Whip is probably my album of the year. I was kind of a Blur fan before, I actually got into Graham's solo work first, but now I'm all in. This album is so beautifully conceived and delivered it kind of made me realise how great albums as an entire entity, rather than singles, can be. Oh man, stuff sounds better in my head. Anyway, I love this song... I know it's written about a place in Hong Kong, but this will forever bring me back to that night in Hyde Park.

"Thought I was a spaceman digging out my heart, in some distant sand-dune in Hyde Park".

Comments

Popular Posts