John Martyn - Solid Air

The first time I became aware of John Martyn was unfortunately when I read some obituaries following his death last January. I'm no great judge of skill, but even I can tell this guy was a genius on the guitar, and reading articles about him, he's influenced pretty much everybody. This is possibly his most recognisable song, written for his friend "Who had what they call a nervous breakdown." He didn't name the friend in this video, but he was Nick Drake. It's such an awesome song, timeless really... I especially love when Danny Thompson joins him on double bass for the album track (and live often too). His cover of English Folk Classic Spencer The Rover is incredible.

"I know you, I love you
And I can be your friend
I can follow you anywhere
Even through solid air."

Comments

Popular Posts